Home                           FAQs                           Terms                      Contact Us              
We specialize in marriage visas to Canada
We provide easy-to-read, independent immigration marriage information
to help you meet the marriage visa requirements that will enable you to
submit your spousal sponsorship visa application in Canada.

Hong Kong Marriage Visa


Canadian citizenship entitles you to get a marriage visa to marry your Hong Kong spouse and sponsor his/her application for marriage immigration to Canada. Applying for a marriage visa and preparing for marriage immigration can be a time consuming task and you will need to be organized particularly with your Canada documents. To qualify for a marriage visa you must fulfill these basic criteria:

  • You must be a Canadian citizen or legal permanent resident aged 18 years or over
  • You must be financially independent and able to support him/her for 3 years after he/she getspermanent residency
  • You must also support any dependent children for 10 years or until they are 25
  • You must have adequate housing where you, your Hong Kong spouse and any dependants can live without relying on state benefits

When you marry your spouse you can legalise your Hong Kong marriage in Canada.


Getting Ready for Marriage Immigration

Before you leave Canada, you need to prepare for your marriage immigration. You should go in person to your local Registrar of Marriages to obtain an Affidavit of Marital Status. This certificate costs $50 and proves your single status by confirming that you are not still involved in matrimony with another spouse. You can use it within 3 months of the date of issue.

If you fail to do this in Canada, you can do it in the Canadian Embassy in Hong Kong prior to getting a Hong Kong Marriage Licence.

You will also need an original or certified copy your Birth Certificate.

If you have been married before you must produce one of the following documents to support the Affidavit of Marital Status:

  • If divorced, you will need your Divorce Decree
  • if widowed you will need your Certificate of Marriage and Death Certificate of your previous spouse


Changing Your Canada Documents

When official documents issued in Canada are to be used in Hong Kong, they need to be notarised, “authenticated” and “legalised “in order for them to be valid this/here.

The first thing you need to do is get a notary stamp and signature from any notary in Canada. Get them “authenticated” by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT). The purpose of the authentication process is to prove the validity of the documents issued in Canada. After that your documents acquire legal validity in Hong Kong.

Documents in Need of Legalisation for Marriage in Hong Kong

  • Affidavit of Marital Status
  • Divorce Decree (if relevant)
  • Former spouse’s Death Certificate and previous marriage certificate (if relevant)
  • Your Birth Certificate
  • Name change certificate (if relevant)
  • Your Canadian passport cannot be legalised as it is already an internationally recognised document. You must however have photocopies of the ID and bio page notarised as true copies of the original.


Hong Kong Visa Requirements

As a Canadian citizen you do not need a visa to visit Hong Kong, providing that your stay does not exceed 90 days and you go for tourist purposes. Your passport must be valid for at least three months after the 90 day period and you need to be in possession of a return ticket.

Once you have prepared all relevant documents and you have a valid Canadian passport, you may make arrangements to fly to Hong Kong to join your spouse.


Getting Married in Hong Kong

You may decide to marry your Hong Kong spouse in Canada, however, getting married in Hong Kong is a very romantic experience and relatively straight forward, providing you are organised and ensure that you and your Hong Kong spouse have the correct documentation.

Whilst your Hong Kong bride is excited about planning the marriage ceremony you should make him/her aware that under both Canadian and Hong Kong Marriage Law, only the civil registration of your marriage will be recognised as legal and only a legal marriage will allow you to bring your Hong Kong spouse back to Canada.

The legal age for marriage in Hong Kong is 16. If your Hong Kong fiancée is younger than 21, he/she must present the name, address and capacity of the person consenting to the marriage.

To register the marriage legally with Hong Kong authorities takes a lot of work and you should not underestimate the time or work involved.

The first thing to do once you arrive in Hong Kong is for you or your future spouse to give a Notice of Intended Marriage to the Registrar of Marriages. You can book an appointment for giving notice through the Internet or the Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS). The booking service is free of charge and both channels provide round-the-clock service. The Registrar will exhibit the notice in his office. During this period, any person who is authorised by law to object to your proposed marriage may do so The Registrar will issue a Certificate of Registrar of Marriages at least 15 days after the filing of a notice. You will be able to celebrate your marriage within three months from the date of notice giving if all the statutory requirements are met.

Document Check: Canadian Spouse

Document Check: Hong Kong Spouse

  • Original Affidavit of Marital Status. It must not be older than two months from the date of issue.
  • Original Passport or ID card
  • Original birth certificate
  • Original death certificate of deceased spouse if widowed
  • Original divorce decree or annulment papers if divorced

The marriage has to take place at a marriage registry by a Registrar or at any other place in Hong Kong by a civil celebrant of marriages. If the marriage does not take place within three months after the giving of the notice, the notice will be void. You have to give another notice before getting married.

Marriage to your Hong Kong spouse does not automatically qualify you for Hong Kong citizenship. Hong Kong is a country, which does not permit dual citizenship and in order to become a Hong Kong citizen you must apply through the official government immigration channels.


Permanent Resident Application

When your spouse comes to Canada she can change his/her name to that of your own and you can start the marriage visa process. Any Canadian man wishing to bring his Hong Kong spouse to Canada must sponsor his/her for permanent residency. The process takes between 6 and 18 months. Sponsorship is a part of the Canadian immigration system that allows individuals to come to Canada under the Family Class of immigration.

In your case, you will sponsor your Hong Kong spouse to Canada, as long as you meet the requirements of a sponsor. Sponsorship is an agreement between the Canadian government and you. This agreement is a promise on the part of the sponsor that you will provide your spouse with food, clothes and shelter i.e. all of the basic requirements in order to live in Canada.

The sponsorship agreement includes financial support and health care because your Hong Kong spouse will have no access to the social care system. In the sponsorship agreement you promise to sponsor your spouse for at least three years from the day she becomes a permanent resident. You also have to sponsor any dependent children moving with his/her to Canada for a period of 10 years or until they are 25, whichever comes first.


Spousal Sponsorship Requirements

To qualify as a sponsor, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. You are over 18 years old and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada.
  2. You are single and free to marry
  3. You have married a Hong Kong citizen in Hong Kong and intend to live in Canada with his/her.
  4. You are not on any Social Assistance program
  5. You are not in default of any previous sponsorship agreement
  6. You have sufficient funds and you are not bankrupt
  7. You are not in prison

You may not qualify if one of the following points applies to your situation:

  • You previously failed to provide financial support when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative
  • You failed to pay alimony or child support
  • You received government financial assistance for reasons other than disability
  • You were convicted of a violent criminal offence, an offence against a relative or a sexual offence
  • You failed to make payments for an immigration loan
  • You have declared bankruptcy and have not recovered from it yet.
  • If you qualify for sponsorship, you can fill out the application forms available from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

If you qualify for spousal sponsorship, you can fill out the application forms available from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). You can download the documents his/here or have them mailed to you. Read the guide and complete the application. Remember to support the application with relevant documents.


Canada Visa Application

Your Hong Kong spouse must fill out the marriage visa immigration forms. As part of the application process, he/she will need to undergo a medical exam and a criminal check. The medical exam is required to make sure that applicants do not have a medical condition that is dangerous to Canadian public health and safety, or would require elaborate treatment by the Canadian health services. The examination results are valid for 12 months and need to be done by authorised doctors. Your Hong Kong spouse must present a valid police certificate from the National Bureau of Investigation in Hong Kong showing she has no criminal record.

The next step is to pay you application fee to CIC. You can pay your fees by bank transfer or online. If you choose to pay at the bank, you have to order a receipt of payment, also called immigration form IMM 5401. Remember to bring this form with you to the bank when you pay your fees. If you pay online, make sure you print the receipt of payment form and include it with your application.


Visa Application Fees

The marriage visa application fees are as follows:

  • $75 for you as a sponsor
  • $475 for your Hong Kong spouse
  • $150 for a dependent child your Hong Kong spouse who is under 22 and not married
  • $550 for a dependant of your Hong Kong spouse who is 22 or older, or who is under 22 and married $490 for the right of permanent residence fee which your Hong Kong spouse will be have to pay before the status is granted.

The last step is to mail your application along with the receipt for the fees paid and all supporting documents to the CIC Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Mississauga, Ontario. You will be notified when your application is received and you can check the status of your application online.

After your Hong Kong spouse has held his/her permanent resident status for three years, she is eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship.

Applications are refused if you provide false information on your application form.