Home                           FAQs                           Terms                      Contact Us              
We specialize in marriage visas to Canada
We provide easy-to-read, independent immigration marriage information
to help you meet the marriage visa requirements that will enable you to
submit your spousal sponsorship visa application in Canada.

Ukraine Marriage Visa (USA)

US citizenship entitles you to get a marriage visa to marry your Ukrainian spouse and sponsor his/ her application for marriage immigration to America. Applying for a marriage visa and preparing for marriage immigration can be a time consuming task and you will need to be organized particularly with your US documents. To qualify for a spouse visa you must fulfil these basic criteria:

• You must be an American citizen or legal permanent resident aged 18 years or over

• You must be able to prove that you are financially independent and able to support your Ukrainian spouse and any dependent children

• You must be able to prove that you have adequate housing where you, your Ukrainian spouse and any dependants can live

When you get married to your Ukrainian fiancé(e) you can legalize your Ukrainian marriage in the USA.

Getting Ready for Marriage Immigration

Before you leave the US, you need to prepare for your marriage immigration. You should obtain a Single Status Affidavit. This certificate can be prepared by a US notary or the American citizen services at the US Embassy in Ukraine.

You will also need an original or certified copy your Birth Certificate.

If you have been married before you must produce one of the following documents to support the Single Status Affidavit:

  • If divorced, you will need your Divorce Decree
  • if widowed you will need your Certificate of Marriage and Death Certificate of your previous spouse

Changing Your US Documents

When official documents issued in the USA are to be used in Ukraine, they need to be “authenticated” and “legalised “in order for them to be valid there.

The first thing you need to do is get your documents “authenticated” by the Ukrainian Embassy in the US . The purpose of the authentication process is to prove the validity of the documents issued in the US. If not previously authenticated by a Ukrainian Consul in the U.S., your documents must be legalized in Ukraine by the Ukraine Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The last thing to do is to get your documents translated into Ukrainian and “legalized” by the US Embassy in Ukraine. After that your documents acquire legal validity in Ukraine.

Documents in Need of Legalization for Marriage in Ukraine

  • Single Status Affidavit
  • Divorce Decree (if relevant)
  • Former spouse’s Death Certificate and previous marriage certificate (if relevant)
  • Your Birth Certificate
  • Name change certificate (if relevant)
  • Your US passport cannot be legalized as it is already an internationally recognized document. You must however have photocopies of the ID and bio page notarized as true copies of the original.


Ukrainian Visa Requirements

As a US citizen you do not need a visa to visit Ukraine, providing that your stay does not exceed 90 days. Your passport must be valid for at least six months after the 90 day period and have at least two blank pages. You must have a return ticket or ticket to another destination outside of Ukraine. If you want to extend your stay beyond 90 days, you can apply to the Consular section of the Ukraine Embassy in the US.

Once you have prepared all relevant documents and you have a valid US passport, you may make arrangements to fly to Ukraine to join your intended spouse.

Getting Married in Ukraine

You may decide to marry your Ukrainian spouse in the US, however, getting married in Ukraine is an inspiring experience and relatively straight forward providing you are organized and ensure that you and your Ukrainian spouse have the correct documentation.

Under both US and Ukrainian Marriage Law, only the civil registration of your marriage will be recognized as legal and only a legal marriage will allow you to bring your Ukrainian spouse back to the US.

The legal age for marriage in Ukraine is 17 for females and 18 for males. It is possible to marry at 16 providing parental consent is given.

To register the marriage legally with the Ukrainian authorities takes a lot of work and you should not underestimate the time or work involved.

The first step in planning your wedding in Ukraine is to go to a Ukrainian Registry Office of your choice with your spouse to register your marriage. You should take your passport and all of the documents you brought with you from the US. Your spouse needs to present a Ukrainian Affidavit of Marriage Status as well as her passport, birth certificate and proof that s/he is no longer married.

The application for marriage can also be processed by the local Department of Vital Statistics and Civil Status known locally as the reyestratsiya aktiv tsyvilnogo stanu or ‘RATS.’ The marriage will be entered into the registry one month from the date that the application was received.

Document Check: US Spouse

  • Original Single status Affidavit issued in the US or by the US Embassy in Ukraine. It must not be older than three months from the date of issue
  • Original valid US passport
  • Original Birth certificate
  • Original death certificate of deceased spouse if widowed
  • Original divorce decree or annulment papers if divorced


Document Check: Ukrainian Spouse

  • Affidavit of Marriage Status
  • Copy of ID, family book and a certificate for permanent or temporary residence
  • Original birth certificate
  • Original death certificate of deceased spouse if widowed
  • Original divorce decree/annulment papers if divorced

Once the Notice of Application for a Marriage License is obtained, you and your Ukrainian spouse can arrange your marriage ceremony. Marriage to your Ukrainian spouse does not automatically qualify you for Ukrainian nationality; you should also be aware that Ukraine does not recognize dual citizenship.

Permanent Resident Application

It is the responsibility of the American spouse to file an immigration petition as the sponsor of their Ukrainian spouse to come to live in the United States as a legal permanent resident.

The first step in the visa process is for the American spouse to establish that your relationship qualifies for a green card with USCIS. This is done by submitting the application ‘Petition for Alien Relative’ known as Form I-130. This form notifies USCIS that you want to apply for their green card; if they are applying for your dependent children you must fill out a separate I-130 for each child.

If you are a US citizen your application will be given priority over all other sponsorship applications because there is no waiting period for foreign spouses and their children (under 21 years of age) in the US immigration system. Spouses and dependents of lawful Permanent Residents are next in line. The American spouse must provide documentary evidence of their status as a US citizen or permanent resident and of your relationship to you such as a marriage certificate.

Form I-130 should be submitted to the Chicago Lockbox relevant to the state you live in unless submitting it with an application for permanent residence. USCIS then direct the I-130 petition to the appropriate USCIS Service Center. If the I-130 is sent to the wrong Chicago Lockbox, or to another USCIS address, it will be rejected. The fee for filing Form I-130 is $355.

Once your I-130 is received, USCIS send you Form I-797 known as a ‘Notice of Action,’ to acknowledge receipt of your application. You will also receive Form I-864 ‘Affidavit of Support’ which the US spouse must fill out to prove that they can financially support their Ukraine spouse. They must attach supporting documents to this form e.g. a letter on company letterhead detailing their employment status, where they live and photocopies of your Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of their federal income tax return for the most recent tax year. They should also include their W-2s and/or 1099 forms.

If the US spouse is unable to prove that they can support the foreign spouse and any dependent children the application will be denied.

If the sponsorship application is incomplete or does not contain relevant supporting documents it will be rejected and the sponsorship process will be further delayed. Keep copies of all immigration documentation in a safe place in case the visa petition gets lost or mislaid.

Applying for a Green Card if you reside legally in the USA

If you are legally resident in the USA e.g. if you have a non-immigrant visa permitting you to live and work or study there, you can apply for an ‘Adjustment of Status’ by filing Form I-485 at the same time as your spouse files Form I-130. Form I-485 will adjust your status to that of permanent resident, more commonly known as a green card holder. Both forms should be submitted to a single Chicago Lockbox. The fee for filing Form I-485 is $1,010 (includes the $80 fingerprint fee).

Around a month after your green card application is received, you will both be required to attend a fingerprint interview where ink-free digital scans of your fingerprints will be taken. Your American spouse may also have to attend a visa interview with you.

Whilst your green card is being processed, you will be able to travel, work and / or study freely according to the terms of your non-immigrant visa or you can apply for ‘Employment Authorization’ using Form I-765. There is no fee for filing for Employment Authorization if you submit this form with your application for permanent residence.

Applications are refused if any documentation provided is false.